All through the night, the constant rhythmic hum of the air conditioner drowns out:
- The call to prayer from local mosques.
- The bleating of sheep and clucking of chickens from the kampung or village up beyond the gates.
- The driving rain and sometimes thunder of night storms.
- The satpams’ (security guards) revving up their ojeks (motorbikes) on their routine patrols around the neighborhood.
- The gekkos chirping around the room.
- Creaks and pops of an Indonesian home–lovely but with the random hairline crack in the wall.
- My pembantu (housekeeper) watching t.v. after I’ve gone to bed.
- My pembantu waking up before me to start the day.
- The sweet little grannies sweeping the street with their bundles of straw and wide brimmed hats early in the morning.
- Drivers from nearby villages arriving by ojek in the morning to take families to work and school.